Small Puppy Care Guide - Introduction
If you plan on purchasing a new puppy, whether it's one of my Chihuahua puppies for sale or another small breed of dog, you'll need to know how to feed them properly.
I'll tell you this, it's not as simple as placing some dry food next to them and calling it a day; it requires a bit more work than that, because this small feeding guide will help new puppy owners to feed their dogs the right way, and will help ensure that their tiny puppy grows into a happy, healthy dog.
Supplies - The Things You'll Need
These are the supplies I feel are absolutely necessary to have on hand for your new Chihuahua puppy. Most, if not all of these items can be found at your local grocery store or online.
1. Esbilac Puppy Milk OR Goats Milk
Esbilac Puppy Milk provides essential nutrition for a developing puppy. It gives them the necessary vitamins, minerals, and proteins which are very similar to a mom dog's milk. If you're unable to acquire Esbilac Puppy Milk, then Goat's Milk is a fine alternative, as it provides nearly the same amount of important nutrients a young puppy needs.
Note: For instructions on how to give this items to your puppy, skip to the Feeding Instructions part of this guide.
2. Gerber Baby Rice Flakes (This is optional. It's only for puppies who refuse to drink the Esbilac Puppy Milk or Goats Milk by itself.)
Sometimes, a puppy will refuse to drink Esbilac Puppy Milk and Goat's Milk, so Gerber Baby Rice Flakes is another fine alternative you can use if your puppy is refusing the former two items.
3. Dry Food: Eukanuba chicken formulas.
To prevent your puppy from having any digestive complications, finding dry foods with simple ingredients is key, and Eukanuba chicken forumlas has just that: simple ingredients. Your puppy shouldn't have any problems digesting this food, and they should also enjoy the great taste.
Nutrical is a handy calorie supplement to have. It's an easily disgested, low volume gel that you can give to your puppy. The reason I recommend Nutrical is because sometimes, small puppies will burn through more calories than they take in, which results in low blood sugar. To prevent this from happening, giving a Chihuahua puppy an inch of gel at midday, every day until it's gone, will go a long way in maintaining their health.
5. Karo Syrup, clear color
Karo Syrup serves as a potential life saver if your puppy, for whatever reason, is effected by low blood sugar. A sudden attack of low blood sugar can be lethal, so having Karo Syrup nearby to them by mouth is a real difference maker. For instructions on how to give Karo Syrup to a dog with low blood sugar, view the "What to do With a Puppy That Lacks an Appetite" part of this guide.
Feeding Instructions - For Teacup Puppies That Are under 2 lbs
1. Esbilac Puppy Milk or Goats Milk should be given two to three times a day. If the puppy is refusing to drink the milk, then try soaking some dry food in water and give that to them instead, twice a day.
2. Give them Nutrical once during midday on a daily basis until the tube is empty.
3. Make sure you always have dry food available for your puppy so they can eat whenever they are hungry. This is known as "free feeding." Additionally, always have a water bowl filled with water for the puppy.